All about Zasip
Numerous archaeological findings of stone tools testify to the prehistoric presence of humans in the area of Zasip.
Zasip’s favourable location on moraines along the southern slopes of Hom hill and the edges of fertile plains encouraged permanent settlement. An archaeological discovery of building remains in the far eastern part of the Stagne area demonstrates the existence of a Roman settlement.
Slavs populated this area in the early Middle Ages after the end of the Roman era. The settlements of Zasip and Mužje were established during that period. This makes Zasip in its current form one of the oldest settlements in the Blejski kot area. The Žale graveyard also originates from this period, as well as the Sebenje Treasure, 24 iron tools and weapons that were discovered by a local man, Tone Jarkovič, near the Church in Sebenje in 1985.
The earliest written sources about Zasip date back to around 1004, when the Diocese of Brixen took over the area. The Mužje settlement was first mentioned in documents from 1050-1065, whereas the name Zasip was first used in donation documents a little later, from 1075-1090. During that time, the Diocese of Brixen obtained a number of estates, but had lost them by the 13th century. The Lambergar nobility became the main owner of the village in the 14th century. Some of the Zasip estates were also owned by the neighbouring manor of Grimšče. Other findings from Medieval times include the remains of a building which was constructed next to the ancient structure discovered in the eastern part of Stagne. Zasip parish and the Church of St John the Baptist were also founded in this period. The parish is believed to have existed before the arrival of the Brixen bishops in Bled, and was then taken over by the Lambergar family, which makes Zasip one of the oldest parishes in the area. The parish was first mentioned in 1296.
Zasip played an important role during the Reformation as it is believed to have been one of the centres of the Slovenian Reformation movement. Three Zasip parish priests were known to be Lutherans: Marko Žlahtič, Gregor Azler, and Krištof Fašang.
By the end of the 20th century, Zasip had expanded and received its current form through the merger of three formerly separated areas: Zasip, Mužje, and Sebenje.